I love to play practical jokes, but April 1 is my favorite day of the year. I can get away with so much badness, I almost feel guilty. Almost!

When I worked a day job – which was actually at night when I did financial settlements for concerts, I asked Kick, my husband, to stop by on his way home and pick up some plants that had been left after a concert. I told him to park in the loading zone and leave his flashers on. My girlfriend Jill, who worked the concert too, reminded me it was April Fools Day.

It’s always nice to have an accomplice!

When we saw Kick park, I gave her my keys to his truck. As he came in one door, she went out the other and moved his Chevy ahead about 200 feet. When we came out with the plants, he was nearly speechless (besides a few mumbled curse words.) Then Jill pressed the lock and unlock buttons on the key fob, causing the lights to flash and the doors to click. Kick’s mouth literally dropped open. We still laugh about that one.

Last year, I filled Kick’s to-go coffee cup with beer. Well, it was non-alcoholic beer, but I could hardly wait until I got that phone call from him when he was half way to work.

Years ago, on a Saturday, he mentioned he was going to run some errands. At that time, he wore a big, puffy winter coat with vertical zippers, and I stuffed every pocket with elbow macaroni (dry, of course) so when he got to the hardware store and opened his pocket to grab his wallet, guess what spilled out all over the floor?

Early one April Fool’s morning when I was cracking eggs into a pan, he walked into the kitchen. I plucked an egg (one I’d hard-boiled the day before) out of the carton and hurled it at him. I didn’t notice, though, that he had his hands full of the ice cream bowls from the night before – which he dropped to catch the ‘raw’ egg. Oops!

My favorite, though, was the lizard incident. We were staying with relatives in a room that also housed their iguana tank. That evening, we went to a mall for supper, and there was a toy store a couple shops down. I slipped out for a few minutes and bought a rubber iguana. I’m sure you can imagine where this is headded.

Kick climbed in bed and I stood between him and the iguana tank. I opened the lid.

Kick said, “I don’t think you should be messin’ with that thing.” He’s not much for that kind of animal.

I talked sweetly to the lizard, telling him I just wanted to hold him for a while.

By this time, Kick was a little anxious. “You don’t want it to get away from you. Just leave it be for now and we’ll have Dan get it out for you tomorrow.” See how patient he is with me, and yet I still love pranking him.

I held up the rubber lizard, spun toward him, and launched it at him, shouting, “Slimy!”

His blood-curdling scream had everyone in the house racing into our room, where Kick sat holding the toy lizard in one hand, and his chest with the other.

I, of course, was rolling on the floor laughing. The family still talks about that one.

This April Fools season, I’m grateful for a family with a fun sense of humor, and who allows me to indulge in my wicked/creative side.

Your turn! What are your favorite practical jokes? Give me some ideas to make April 1, 2014 the best pranking year ever!

Have a great day!

Randi

14 comments to “My Best April Fool’s Pranks – Stop By and Share Yours, Too!”

1. Angie Griffith
    · March 30th, 2014 at 4:24 pm · Link

When I worked as operations manager I worked with 8 guys that were quick typers not by memory of keys but looking at letters for some badasses they were fast. I usually came to work at 5am they showed up 8am that gave me plenty of time to switch all the letter keys on their keyboards and made sure they matched. They were fussin and cursin all day long while I sat in my office chuckling. They kept bitching and i called them dumbasses telling them they didn’t know nothing. I got caught an hour before I got off as they owner came in I didn’t do his cause he was suppose to bein meeting he showed up all guys still fussing talking about nothing works. Bossman checked all their computers and keyboards found the reason and narrowed it down to me. Needless to say I payed for my prank fixing keys then buying them all drinks to laugh it off. They thought they was the ultimate pranksters always playing jokes I got them good to this day I have not lived it down every year they give me bigger pranks but mine still original.

• Randi
      1.1
      · March 31st, 2014 at 8:40 am · Link

Angie, that’s hilarious! And that took a lot of time to change all those keyboards. I bet you’ll love seeing what they have in store for you tomorrow!

2. Larri
    · March 30th, 2014 at 4:30 pm · Link

Poor Kick!! You are lucky to be married to such a forgiving man. I’m not sure I’d ever recover from the lizard incident.

• Randi
      2.1
      · March 31st, 2014 at 8:41 am · Link

Hahaha, Larri, you’re not the only person who calls him ‘poor Kick’ but he’s a good sport, and has gotten me back with a few good pranks of his own.

3. Sandy Scheer
    · March 30th, 2014 at 4:58 pm · Link

I have never played a trick but my one friend played one on me that almost gave me a heart attack. She called me and told me she broke her wrist at work, I lived up the hill from her and started down to her place, just then an ambulance pulled up in front of her house and I proceeded to run the rest of the way. As it turned out the ambulance was actually there for her neighbor and she was fine but it took me an hour to catch my breath.

• Randi
      3.1
      · March 31st, 2014 at 8:43 am · Link

I can imagine the adrenaline rushing through you as you ran down the hill. She’s got a very good friend in you!

4. Lisa Cox
    · March 30th, 2014 at 5:09 pm · Link

Ok, I have to tell this one now. I worked for a veterinarian hospital for 22 years. The Sunday before April 1st, I went to a open air flea market and got sunburned pretty bad on my face and the backs of my hands.
    That Monday, which was April 1st, when the office manager came in and saw me, she asked what had happened. I told her it was radiation burns from the xray machine and that the doctor was even worse off. I was lucky enough to answer the phone when the doctor called to see what his schedule was for the morning, and told him what I had done. He laughed and then he called back 15 minutes later and told the office manager that she needed to figure out the schedule because everyone in the hospital now had to go see a special doctor and be tested for radiation poisoning. She was freaking out all day long, and we were all laughing. I finally told her that it was an April Fool’s joke when I left for the day at 3pm. She was so mad at me for weeks. And wouldn’t believe anything I told her for a long time.

• Randi
      4.1
      · March 31st, 2014 at 8:46 am · Link

Oh my gosh, that’s perfect! Bosses are a fun target. It’s great to get an accomplice, isn’t it?

5. Tiss
    · March 30th, 2014 at 6:21 pm · Link

I can’t remember any really good ones, but one year, it think it had to do with neighbors calling around trying to find out who had the Prairie Fire or something like that. My prankster in crime has gone to heaven, so won’t be anything original this year, and I almost wish I didn’t have to work that day, cause I know our maintenance man will have something brewing. But he doesn’t stuff like that every day of the week.
    I can just see Kick. Glad you got a good one and he wasn’t too mad at you.

• Randi
      5.1
      · March 31st, 2014 at 8:49 am · Link

I can imagine a prairie fire would get a lot of attention in your corner of the world, Tiss. Yep, I agree, my Kick is a good one.

6. Clare O'Beara
    · March 31st, 2014 at 3:45 am · Link

Your poor husband!
    Your pranks sound very cheeky and I haven’t done anything like that. Maybe I should start…

• Randi
      6.1
      · March 31st, 2014 at 8:52 am · Link

Clare, Kick got me back good one year. I forgot it was April 1, so he came home from work before me and set me up. He had a ladder laying on its side and he was laying on the floor next to it. I panicked, then saw him shaking, and realized he was laughing. He got pounced on and tickled pretty bad. LOL

7. cathy brockman
    · March 31st, 2014 at 12:24 pm · Link

I’m not much of a practical jokester I loved ypur lizard story

• Randi
      7.1
      · March 31st, 2014 at 4:07 pm · Link

That was an epic prank. I’ll have to revise that one some year, and try it on the Twerplettes. I’ll wait until they’re teenagers, though, and deserve a little grief.