After Wild Wicked Weekend in San Antonio, Texas in February, we spent a few days vacationing like tourists. My hubby, Kick, loved the cruise we took along the Riverwalk (I would have enjoyed it more, but an evil-cold wind came up that evening, and I spent the trip snuggled into my warm hubby – which was actually very enjoyable!)

20150222_163742

20150222_163939

Our aim when vacationing is to see as many museums and historical sites as we can. Toward this lofty goal, we saw The Alamo first, which I would highly recommend to everyone. Of course, the Twerpletes wanted to know about the basement, where Pee Wee Herman’s bike was hidden. (Less movies for those kids, and more historical documentaries!)

20150222_145639

Next was the Buckhorn Museum.

Can you guess what animal left this skull behind?

Can you guess what animal left this skull behind?

In the same building is the Texas Ranger Museum.

20150224_135136

Badges from across Texas.

Badges from across Texas.

Collection of old Jack Daniels bottles.

Collection of old Jack Daniels bottles.

I’m a fan of Frederick Remington paintings, and I found two drawings at the Briscoe Western Art Museum.

"An Argument With the Town Marshall" 1905 Frederick Remington

“An Argument With the Town Marshall” 1905 Frederick Remington

"An Equine Freight Car and Point of View" 1889 Frederick Remington

“An Equine Freight Car and Point of View” 1889 Frederick Remington

I have more photos of beautiful Western artwork to show you, so watch for future posts.

Also at the Brisco were these amazing finds.

Pancho Villa Saddle 1920 (Notice the glass case of spurs behind it?)

Pancho Villa Saddle 1920

Santa Anna's Sword

Santa Anna’s Sword

Our final stop was the San Fernando Cathedral, and I felt an immediate connection with the peaceful feeling inside the building.

20150223_142430

When we explored our hotel, The Menger, we found this photo, which had appeared in the movie, Giant.

"Venting Cattle on the Frisco System"  F.L. Van Ness

“Venting Cattle on the Frisco System” F.L. Van Ness

If you’ve never been to San Antonio, it’s a wonderful town to explore, and if you’re a reader and want to combine a fun vacation with a wild and wonderful reader/author event, be sure to check out Wild Wicked Weekend 2016. I’ll be there, and if you’d like, we can sneak off and see some museums together!

…plus a bar or two…

9 comments to “The Alamo, The Riverwalk, and Other Incredible Finds in San Antonio”

1. Larri
    · March 8th, 2015 at 12:57 pm · Link

We were lucky and had beautiful weather the day we took the river boat tour. Sorry that you got a cold wind, but it sounds like you made the best of it:-)
    I hope I am able to attend WWW2016 and spend more time with you. It was such a fun conference!

2. Ronnie c
    · March 8th, 2015 at 1:36 pm · Link

If I was there I would visit all of those places! Thanks for the pictures!!! (My hubby wants to rent or buy an RV so we can visit those places and others….)

3. Marie
    · March 8th, 2015 at 1:45 pm · Link

Great pictures, Randi. I’ll have to explore the museum next time. We did have wonderful weather, not to hot and not too cold, but then I left before that cold front came in.

4. ki pha
    · March 8th, 2015 at 1:52 pm · Link

Sounds like a lot of fun. I would definitely need to visit one day.

5. Gail Siuba
    · March 8th, 2015 at 3:13 pm · Link

Great pictures and what a great way to spend a little add on vacation. 🙂 My DH & I like to check out museums too. I’ve never been to San Antonio and it’s on my list. Maybe I can find a way to include the WWW 2016. 😉

You asked what the big skeleton head was, was it a buffalo? Thanks for sharing.

6. Shirley Long
    · March 8th, 2015 at 5:15 pm · Link

Totally love San Antonio. There’s a great restaurant on the Riverwalk, can’t remember the name, that serves the best chicken fried steak I’ve ever eaten. Did you visit the Lone Star Brewery and their kinda/sorta museum? If you even get the chance, drive the Mission Trail route, stop and go inside all the old adobe missions with the original wood pews and tables, etc. Talk about feeling the history. My husband and I both said, “can you just imagine?”
    Our trip was a long, long time ago, but I’d love to go back and revisit all the wonderful places.

7. Sharlene Wegner
    · March 8th, 2015 at 6:09 pm · Link

Thanks for sharing! I’ve never been to San Antonio. Maybe some day!

8. Clare O'Beara
    · March 9th, 2015 at 6:46 am · Link

That enormous skull was a grazer with big horns, so I’m guessing a buffalo. What a marvellous museum collection! I love the painting of the Texas Ranger. Thanks so much for letting us in the trip.

9. Laurie P