I’m reading Linda Lael Miller’s Big Sky Mountain, the second book in the Parable, Montana series. I’m always amazed at the creative visuals Ms. Miller writes, and this book is no exception. Her writing always gives me a fresh view of my own work in progress. And besides, she always has the sexiest cowboys!

*spoiler alert* At the end of the book, there’s an engagement ring. I always love that about a romance novel. So much so that I wrote my first erotic romance, Chase and Seduction, in the same way. (Sorry, another spoiler alert.) A few reviewers disliked that about my book, especially since it’s erotic romance, which usually ends with a Happily For Now instead of a Happily Ever After.

I like being a pioneer, though. Maybe some erotic romances should have more traditional endings. Maybe I’ve created a new sub-genre – Wedding Ring Erotic Romance. The cowboy gets down on one knee and pops the question, and maybe we even get to attend the wedding!

What do you think of Happily Ever After endings in erotic romance? Would it distract from the sexy parts of the story and be anti-climactic? Or do you like to see the story wrapped up in white satin ribbons at the end with an engagement ring and a wedding?

Happy Monday,

Randi

14 comments to “Do Engagement Rings and Erotic Romance Novels Mix?”

1. Laurel
    March 18th, 2013 at 11:58 am · Link

I like a HEA in an erotc romance….infact I tend to not like the Happy for Now endings. Give me the wedding every time (though it doesn’t have to be a white wedding, after all we know what these characters have been up to). I like the idea of taking all that sex and tying it up in big tulle bow. It’s like some people think that it can’t last past a wedding….well why the hell not! Yep, give me the HEA and the wedding every time.

• Randi
      March 18th, 2013 at 12:26 pm · Link

Great point, Laurel – it probably wouldn’t be the traditional white wedding, after all that lovely bedroom time. I’m glad someone other than me likes the romantic commitment at the end of the book. Thanks for dropping by!

• Laurel
        March 18th, 2013 at 3:24 pm · Link

I read one where the good girl (who gets left at the alter at the beginning) decides she wants to be bad. So she finds the town bad boy and convinces him to teach her how to be bad. By the end they’ve fallen in love and she decides she wants to get married while hugely pregnant and in a red dress…..I LOVED it.

• Randi
          March 18th, 2013 at 5:10 pm · Link

That sounds like a great story. A perfect happy ending, too.

2. Ginger
    March 18th, 2013 at 5:03 pm · Link

I like the ring in erotic stories. Why would you not want to marry the guy that you had the best sex of your life with? I think it is a great combination.

• Randi
      March 18th, 2013 at 5:15 pm · Link

That’s true, Ginger. Some things are too important to let slip away, and fabulous sex is one of those!

3. Crystal
    March 18th, 2013 at 9:49 pm · Link

I like a happily ever after at the end of a book. It just seems like a nice way to end it.

• Randi
      March 19th, 2013 at 9:29 am · Link

I’m a sucker for a HEA, Crystal. I guess that’s why I write erotic romance instead of erotica. I’ve got to see my characters fall head over heels in love. *sigh*

4. Casi
    March 19th, 2013 at 1:57 am · Link

I like the Happily Ever Afters. I only like Happily for Nows if it’s a series and we’re going to continue to see them. The purpose for reading fiction is escape (at least for me) and for me that means escape from the bad into the good, and good always ends with happily ever after.

The other option is to leave the ending open to interpretation. An engagement ring is an obvious happily ever after, and a “happily for now” usually has some glaring problem with it (human in love with an eternal being is one). However, when they just ride off into the sunset and the reader can decide if they stay together for ever or if she drops him for another hot piece then it’s just as fun.

• Randi
      March 19th, 2013 at 9:33 am · Link

Hahaha, I love that, Casi! Dropping him for another hot piece. So true, we have to find the balance between the rush of lust at the beginning of a new relationship and the settling down part where things might just cool off too much. Thanks for the great comment!

5. Clare O'Beara
    March 19th, 2013 at 5:07 am · Link

We don’t all need an engagement ring – but boy, do we like them we get them!
    And the men feel good about giving one.

• Randi
      March 19th, 2013 at 9:37 am · Link

We do like getting them, Clare! It’s been a long time for me, but I’ve been dropping hints lately that it might be time for a vow renewal, and I’m hoping prior to that, he’ll decide to re-propose, too. I’ll just have to hit a lot harder, I guess. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

6. Ronda Tutt
    March 19th, 2013 at 7:05 pm · Link

I love HEA’s in erotic romances personally. There is such thing as love at first sight and at first lust. LOL I don’t think it distracts from the story, I think it enhances it and makes it more breath taking but I’m a person who is very blunt and am not ashamed of the word or the act of sex. In my eyes the world would not survive without sex. LOL If you think about it back in the old days – I am sure there were cowboys who’s lust controlled them and took what he wanted usually ending in marriage the next day or week. LOL You see most people don’t want you to know that that shit happened because they want you to think everything was nice and proper. Yeah right! Sex is sex and has never changed, it’s only more open now in our current world and is ok to talk about now so it doesn’t bother me and I find it pleasing when I read about sex in a book because it is more realistic.

7. Ronda Tutt
    March 19th, 2013 at 7:12 pm · Link

So to me since sex is sex and there is such thing as love at first sight then why not have the whole thing last for a life time. I mean you could date some one for years and finally get married and the marriage only last two years or like myself and my husband we slept together one night and I knew I wanted to be with him for the rest of my life, two weeks later I asked him – yes I said ” I asked him” to marry me and we got married three months later. We’ve been married 15 years and he is my best friend. So I love it when I read story with the whole shabang because I know it can happen. LOL

Comments are closed.