What Secret Goodies do Awesome Authors Have Close at Hand When They’re Writing?
I asked a random cross-section of authors what they need next to them while they’re writing. I limited it to the 5 Must-Haves, because looking at the table next to my LazyGirl chair, there are about 50 things—seriously. And I told them that X-rated items are fine, so you’ll find a few surprises on the lists!
Here’s what these great authors can’t do without:
(Click on any author’s name to see their website!)
3) rubber band gun to fend off the family
4) phone (so I don’t have to get up)
5) hot guy pictures
1. Coke Zero
3. Scented candle (rose)
4. pillow and blanket
5. hand lotion
1. Must have a cold drink
2. Music playing/TV/Kids in background. Must have it. I love to have noise.
3. Research materials
4. Pictures of the characters I’m writing about.
5. My laptop with Jump drive
1) I have to have a candle burning to write new material. Not always the same scent, I mix it up, but it has to be a Yankee candle.
2) A big glass of water. No ice
3) Lip balm, which is sort of weird that I just cake it on while I’m sitting there by myself.
4) Mints. Icebreakers wintergreen mints are my favorite.
5) One thing I don’t have? Music playing when I write. Ever. I can’t concentrate. I mostly need silence to work.
So yeah, I have fresh breath, I’m completely hydrated and I have soft lips while I’m writing and I’ll yell at you if you interrupt my quiet time–kidding
1 Dr. Pepper,
2 a fuzzy blanket,
3 Google images with “sexy” typed in,
4 and ideally someone sexy laying next to me
…but sometimes he can be a distraction.
I don’t have any X-rated items on my desk (unless you count my computer’s naked guy screensaver). The photo is called “How to impress the girls at the gym.”
2. My Chapstick, because I’m addicted, unfortunately.
3. Water or tea, since writing is hard work.
4. My lucky stuffed Chinese crested hairless dog, since I have a live one in each of my books.
5. Post-it notes, so I can write down a manuscript idea or research question to address later without having to stop writing on my current scene.
1 A cold can of Diet Dr. Pepper,
2 my MP3 player,
3 my gymnastics Barbies for ensuring accuracy and physically improbabilities,
4 my “bible” of characters-basically my notes on all of the characters in the series,
5 a fan-I get WAY too hot writing certain scenes and I’m afraid my laptop will combust, plus the white noise helps with buffering the kid noise around me.
1 Notebook to cage my plot bunnies
2 banana for energy–get your minds out of the gutter!
3 ipod for soundtracks to my stories
4 vanilla lotion–soft, supple skin is important
5 Kindle Fire to watch “inspirational” scenes w/o infecting my laptop with P*rn viruses
1. Iced tea
2. iTunes (music inspires me)
3. Hearts (when I hit a road block, I play the game to untangle my mind)
4. The Internet (Just call me the Queen of Google)
5. My fleece blanket (I live in an old, drafty house and I like to be warm!)
1) Bottle of water
2) Research books (Names, sex books, etc)
3) Blistex (I lick my lip stoo much when I’m thinking)
4) Pen and post-its (keep track of ideas for later, or which chapter I’m on, number of words I’ve written, etc.))
5) Giz, my cat – but that was totally his decision, not mine. His butt is against my laptop and his head is on my printer *sigh*
What I must have when I sit down to write.
1 – lap top lol
2 – time and no crazy distractions – I can write pretty much anywhere and have done so at the race track. I can tune stuff out.
3 – pillow or something soft under my butt depending on the chair and something to rest my right arm on. I’m having shoulder problems
4 – spa music playing softly in background if Meat Man doesn’t have the tv on – I don’t do well with headphones and music in my ears while trying to write.
5 – a drink – alcoholic is good 🙂 – and a cloth to wipe my fingers if I’m snacking – can’t stand icky keyboards
If I’m at the table, usually I have a pussy with me too. My cat loves to lie with his back to the keyboard and knead my arm or boobs purring like a freight train. Distracting but one that is not so hard to take.
1. My cell phone – to text for help when I need it, I have a few author friends on speed dial.
2. My laptop – to research and type my story on.
3. Paper/pen – to jot down ideas, notes, or whatever I feel like,I like to draw random smiley’s and stars too.
4. A drink/snack – wine and chocolate is usually best.
5. My personal dirty word thesaurus – never leave home without it.
1.) A glass of wine.
2.) Scented candles
4.) Coconut oil
5.) Nipple clamps
1. something to drink – flavored water in the summer time and cappuccino or hot chocolate in the winter time.
2. Notebook – I have notes or suggestions that I don’t want to leave out.
3. Music – I like to have a theme for the book. Something that would be regional to the area that the book takes place.
4. Pillows – I need to get comfortable so either use it on my back or if I write in bed I plop the laptop up on one.
5. Cats – I have 2 house cats. I don’t need them to write but they feel they need to help me write so one is usually sitting in my lap.
1) Ice Coffee (either homemade or from Dunkin Donuts but with copious amounts of chocolate either way)
2) My box fan whirling – or if I’m out writing, then I have a virtual fan I listen to on YouTube. (With headphones, I don’t want people to think I’m weird or anything :P)
3) My Notebook and a Pen/Pencil. Sometimes Ideas will hit me but they need to be fleshed out more, or I don’t know where to insert them. Sometimes it’s another plot bunny. Damn those plot bunnies!
4) A vibrator – For when I’m writing the smexy and need to set the mood Oh, woops, am I supposed to admit that online? Probably not…
5) My phone – so I can text people when I need to pull my hair out, grab a hug, moral support, or an ass kicking.
2 Naughty pictures for inspiration when needed
3 Cell phone
4 Cup of tea
5 And a naked hunk
(Last one is a dream lol)
1- A really large mug of coffee. Anything less than 20 ounces is a tease
2- Pajamas. It’s a writer’s perk to work in PJs
3-Wine, for when the internet trolls get you down
4-Technology! At any one time I have a laptop, a cell phone, a landline and an iPad at arms length
5- A writing kitty. There’s at least one cat on me at all times. Usually two.
1) Without coffee there is no function. It is my #1 must-have.
2) A 5-subject notebook that contains the most ridiculous notes.
3) Post-its and pens (in multiple colors because I’m a freak).
4) My phone so I can call a friend if I get a bad review or experience a head-spinning moment.
5) Lotion – several kinds that I obsessively apply to my hands and elbows when I’m thinking about a plot twist my brain is taking me toward that I don’t quite “get”.
I have toys but rarely use them. Horrible temporary desensitization incident in the 90’s (*GRIN*)
4. My fave back pillow
5. One of my aromatic candles lit and in view!
1. My WIP Notebook – I never, ever, ever write without it in touching distance. Heck, I don’t travel without it either. LOL. I lug this thing everywhere so I’ll be able to look up something about the character or their back story at the drop of a hat. The heaping binder is filled with everything I could ever need about the characters, research, and so forth.
2. Something to drink – I know what you’re thinking. I don’t mean liquor. Just water or Coca-cola does it for me. Sometimes, it’s both, depending on my mood.
3. Pen and Paper – Hmmm…not sure if this counts as one or two. But I thought I’d give it a try as one…that way I have another slot to fill up. LOL.
4. Beauty and the Beast Musical Snowglobe – It’s cheesy, I know. But these two inspired my love for romance.
5. Dictionary/Thesaurus – I’m a total word whore. Sometimes, I just can’t get the right word out. I’m like, “I know this word. I know it. Why can’t I remember it?!?” So I pull out my handy-dandy Dictionary/Thesaurus and find the word. Then I’m good to go.
1. A hot beverage…usually tea, but coffee if I’m propping my eyelids open with paperclips
2. Sparky, my little wiener dog. He either curls in my lap or warms my feet.
3. A framed reminder of why I write. I spent a few years writing for the wrong reasons. This keeps me focused on the right reasons.
4. My alphasmart. Sometimes the glaring blank page is a beast. The alphasmart’s tiny screen puts me back in control.
5. My reference materials…for obvious reasons.
1 – Tall icy water
2 – My kittens
3 – a crystal
4 – Nice nail polish on my nails (I like sparkly!)
5 – My iPad mini
Did you notice a lot of cats in there? Thanks to all the wonderful authors who shared their fave five with us. What are the things you must-have, either in your purse or pocket, or next to you when you’re working?