13 Great Authors Share Their Rules For Life
In March, our fabulous authors told us their 5 Must-Haves for Writing. Last month, I asked them what they like best about being a writer. This month, our awesome authors talk about their rules for life.
(Click on any author’s name to see their website!)
1. Don’t hold in your screams, just close the door if you have to, but get them out.
2. Salt makes everything better.
3. Sometimes you have to laugh at bad situations because crying isn’t going to get you anywhere.
4. Bacon is a gateway meat…eat it in front of vegans to convert them.
5. If you lose your inner bad ass, dig in deep and find her again.
1- Be nice! Because in real life, and online, in this business in particular, you never know who you might be talking to.
2- Work hard. People will notice.
3- Keep your promises. If you can’t, then don’t promise to do it in the first place.
4- Know when to say no. It will save your sanity.
5- Luck will only get you so far. The rest is up to you.
Rules for life….this is a heavy topic in eyes, so I’m taking it seriously for once. Here are my top five Rules for Life.
1. Laugh hard. If you know me, you know I don’t take myself too seriously. I enjoy life and love to joke and have fun.
2. Cry openly. We all cry, why hide it?
3. When you find love hold it close, but not so close that it steals your identity.
4. Keep putting one foot in front of the other. One of my favorite quotes is: “Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it’s the courage to continue that counts.” I believe that if we all gave up because someone didn’t like what we were doing, there would ultimately be no creativity in the world.
5. I sign every blog post I write with the following: Live, Love, and Laugh like today is your only chance. It’s my personal motto, and I believe it’s why I’ve been successful in getting where I am. Tomorrow hasn’t been promised to me, so I make it a point to enjoy what I have in the moment.
1. Don’t be mean. It’s not nice.
2. Love like there’s no tomorrow.
3. Laugh whenever you want, wherever you want, and do it as often as you can. Everyone else can either laugh with you or laugh at you. Either way, you’re all laughing.
4. Be positive because no matter how bad things get, it could always be worse.
5. Feel the fear. Embrace it. Own it. Then forget it and do what you want.
1. Take the good from people and forget the bad. It’s the only way I’ve survived with my insane family!
2. Forgive, forgive, then forgive again. You’ll feel better for it, I promise.
3. Life is too short not to masturbate. Just sayin’.
4. Always listen when that inner voice niggles at you. Recently mine said, “Em, do not set fire to those dry leaves.” I didn’t listen. Now I have inspiration for my next fireman story.
5. Unplug everything at dinner and talk to your family.
First, before I’m an author, I’m a mother of two young children under the age of 10. So my rules of life involve them right along with my writing life. I feel as a mother that I have many responsibilities my daughter and son are my chief priority so here goes my rules for life.
1. I believe that you should treat everyone as you wish to be treated. If you want respect you should give respect.
2. I also believe that whatever you want to do in life pursue it wholeheartedly and don’t look back. I’ve always wanted to be a writer. I want my children to know that their mother finally pursued her dream and made it happen, so in turn they know that they can make their own dreams come true.
3. I believe that we should have fun in this life. Don’t take everything so serious but at the same time, kiss your loved ones as you never know what the next moment will bring. I kiss my kids leaving home and when they go to bed at night. In fact I probably overkill the kissing at times. Thank god my kids are still the cuddly type.
4. Another rule for life is the laugh often. Laugh at yourself, go watch a movie, read a good book that will make you laugh. I believe a happy person is a creative person and a person who others want to be around. I love to laugh with my kids…I can have had a seriously bad day, but they will make me laugh and the sadness is gone. Then I can write up a storm and have a much better flow. I admit though there are times when other emotions fuel the writing machine and I say embrace it.
5. Last but not least is to be good to yourself. Let’s face it…life has a way of knocking us on our asses. Not everyone is kind, but there isn’t any reason in the world that you can’t be…especially to yourself. Love yourself …because honestly what goes around comes around.
1. be happy where you are because where you are right now is where you are meant to be
2. if you removed your signficant other from the equation – what do you have left?
3. personal independence
4. try not to look to the past and regret
5. enjoy the moment and live life to the fullest
Every one of the above is hard to do, I’m not good at it but when I do zen into it, I’m so much more content.
1. To LOVE my family & friends unconditionally!
2. Have fun – I really try to no matter the situation.
3. Smile – This one is hard for me if I’m not in the mood, but I try.
4. To get out and travel/vacation – it makes for a happier family if I can get them out and about often.
5. Be adventurous – yes, in ALL that I do!
1) Not everyone will like you
2) Life is not fair
3) It’s not all about you
4) Treat others the way you wish to be treated and hope for the best
5) never say something behind someone’s back you wouldn’t say to their face. They will eventually hear it.
1. Always strive to learn something new.
2. Always say please and thank you.
3. Never fail to make the love of your life, the most important part in your life.
4. You will regret the things you didn’t do, more than the things you did do. So just do it!!
5. And Everything tastes better with bacon!
1. Make sure the people you love know how much you love them.
2. Allow your mistakes to be lessons. Reward yourself for lessons learned, and be patient with yourself as you become the best person you can be.
3.Travel as much as possible. This world is an amazing place. It would be a shame not to see lots of different parts of it.
4. Pray. Remember to give thanks for all your gifts, and ask for the things you want in your life. So many times the things you ask for present themselves to you.
5. Find ways to bring joy into your life every day. Life is short, live it, love it and get caught up in the bliss of it.
1) What you give out into the world, you will receive back. So, think happy thoughts, and be a nice person.
2) Always be yourself, no matter what. People will like, love or even hate you, but at least you’re being true to you.
3) Write every day. Even if it’s just a word.
4) Don’t give up on your dreams. Your dreams define you, and push you. Don’t ever settle for less than your absolute best.
5) Follow your heart. Your mind may balk, but your heart knows your true desire. Trust your instinct and your gut.
1 Life is short. Make the most out of it by enjoying every minute to the fullest and by being open to a variety of experiences. I’m a strong proponent of the saying: You Only Live Once. Go for it!
2 Don’t be a Black Hole. Yes, those empty spots in space where not even light can be seen. That’s what I call people who take from life and never give. Add something to the history of mankind: a child, an idea, a book, a grateful stranger
3 It’s all a matter of perspective. No matter how bad life gets, someone else has it worse. Hard to remember sometimes, but oh, so true. If we are alive, there is always hope. So glad Pandora didn’t let that out of her box 😉
4 Don’t be afraid to change your mind. They say this is a woman’s prerogative. That’s crap. Anyone can change their mind if they do so based upon learning new information or having a new experience. I don’t know about you, but I changed my mind about Santa Claus, eating raw spinach, exercise and writing. This is how we grow. Try it.
5 Choose to be happy. No, we can’t be happy all the time. We will lose patience because the driver in front of us was not perfect, the person in the store was rude, or a best friend let us down. But when we wake up in the morning, we have the option of being happy. After all, we woke up. To be alive means to have infinite possibilities. Why not decide they will be positive up front?
Thanks for dropping in. We’d love to hear your rules for life, too. Leave a comment and share the guidelines that you live by.